Tuesday 16 April 2013

Workplace behaviour


The Easter holidays have finished. A parent in a group I was with, said she was relieved to get away from the constant bickering of her children, particularly the "They've got more than me" variety. She explained how she was now weighing their cereal, to ensure equal portions.

Some of us commiserated and the discussion proceeded to our own childhood experiences. I had to admit, that though my grandsons' bickering drives me to distraction on occasion, my sister and I were no better.

Then I remembered another  conversation I had recently. I attended an event for a group of women, mostly over pensionable age. One woman recognised me and told me that she had been in a local group, where I did some chocolate tasting, as a fund raising event.  I said that I hoped she had enjoyed it. "Well,  I didn't get any chocolate." I explained that there were platefuls of various chocolate around the room for everyone to enjoy. "Well", she said petulantly, "I didn't get any."

This woman held a senior position in a voluntary organisation, was certainly of pensionable age, yet looked at me like some bolshy child. I thought her behaviour was pathetic. Interestingly perhaps, the organisation was one for young girls. It wouldn't be the first time I've observed adults behaving like the age group they work with.
...............................

Last month I was invited to lunch in a large organisation. One of the middle managers sat next to me. On finding out that I was writing a book, asked me what it was about. "Emotional maturity", I explained, "particularly focussing on why adults sometimes behave like children." "Oh, we could do with that here", was her immediate response.

This manager had an abrasive manner and ran her department on a "do as I say and don't argue" basis, which I believe came from above. 

As a group of us were being shown around the new building, another employee gave us instructions to hold the handrail, while going up some stairs. There was even a picture and written instructions on the wall by the handrail. "If you are seen not holding on to it, you will get into trouble." 

Is it any wonder that there are problems with adult staff behaving like children. They are not allowed to think for themselves and common-sense has been replaced by the fear of a Health and Safety report.
........................................

My behaviour at school at 17 wasn't great. It had never been great. As a result, I never achieved any position of responsibility and was often in trouble.

For some unknown reason, somebody thought of making me a sub-prefect for the last term and half. My behaviour changed almost overnight.

I belong to a group, where one member is disrupting meetings, by making undermining asides to whoever she's sitting next to. It's becoming a problem. 

I recognise the behaviour. It's what I used to do in the back row of class or church - when I was under 18. This woman is a 70 year old, highly intelligent professional, who had a high profile in work.

The behaviour is similar, but the reasons are different. I had the attention span of a flea and was just a silly, immature girl. This woman has lost her professional status due to retirement and is having trouble adapting to a different life. 

I grew out of my behaviour - most of the time. She has some growing up to do.

You're never too old to grow up. Keep the childlike qualities, but leave behind the childish. 

There's a difference? Yes. Basically, childlike moments can bring happiness and delight, while childish behaviour tends to create misery for the giver and receiver. 

“ I knew he was childish. I just wanted my childhood back.” 

Woman on phone talking about her husband


©RitaLeaman2013

No comments: