Tuesday 12 March 2013

Targets and boxes - frustrations


I popped into WH Smiths in Euston Station for a newspaper. Of course, I had to pass down the whole shop (and goods) to the tills. Self-service tills. There was a long queue. One assistant was taking goods from the customers and putting them through one of the self-service tills. Another supervisor was supervising him. There was no-one at the manned till.

(For the TV programme, Room 101, I will put in the automated voice, "Unidentified item in bagging area.")

It was a ridiculous situation and I remarked so to the man behind me, who concurred. When it came to my turn, the assistant took the paper and my money, while apologising for the situation.

"I am sorry, but we have targets."

"Don't worry, I replied, "I know all about targets." Don't we all?

There is a family history of osteoporosis in the family. I have kept it at bay, so far, but have bi-annual bone density scans to make sure all is ok.

On the visit to the GP to ask for a referral, she explained to me that she would do her best, but it was down to how many boxes I ticked. At least they're honest. It would appear I ticked enough boxes. I had the scan.

Many years ago I was on a train to London and chatted to a hospital consultant from Newcastle. He was on his way to a meeting about targets. He really didn't want to go, as it was taking him away from his 'proper' work. I feel matters have become far worse since then.

Due to negative equity, we lived for years in a rented flat in York, while owning a flat in the south of England. Have you ever tried to fill in a form where the boxes do not allow for your own personal circumstances. Are you an owner or do you rent a property? Yes, both. Sorry, we don't allow for that scenario.

I claim a State pension and have other paid work. Obviously a forerunner of the Government's intentions for all, very soon. The problem is that HMRC haven't caught up with matters yet. They can manage tax for someone claiming the state pension, but are not proving so hot with anyone who holds a pension and has other income. The problem with this, is that dealings with HMRC can be frustrating and cause distress for many.

Oh, the frustrations of modern life. I expect that has always been so. Some people thought the telephone was the devils's work. Some developments are great. But some are not. 

New machines and technology bring great bonuses, but are we losing the human touch and a person's individuality in the process?

©RitaLeaman2013

No comments: