Sunday 13 May 2012

Thinking about it...The Starfish Story


Just not in the mood to write this afternoon. 

Do I have a subject? 

Yes

But it's one that gets me down at the frustration, injustice and cruelty of life.

Not one to lift the spirits then?

Not really. I'm feeling a bit defeatist.

Why? Well, so many people, so much abuse in all sorts of ways.

What difference can I make?  What's the point?

Remember that *starfish story you heard on the radio the other day.

Yes, that got under my skin. It keeps rattling round my head.

Am I procrastinating? 

Maybe a bit.

Would I like to be doing something else? 

Yes, I'd like to go back out to the garden. 

Why don't I? 

Because I was out there earlier and my back has to be treated with respect, which is boring.

This weather is getting a bit tedious too. Loving the lush green, but not the chilly wind.

I'd like to read the papers. But those can wait.

I'm hungry. 

Have something to eat then. 

The stew is in the slow cooker and smells good. I'd like to scoff all sorts of things that won't ultimately be helpful in my 'getting fit' for London 2012 campaign. 

That's boring. 

Yes.

And you worked hard outside earlier? 

Yes

Using up lots of calories. 

Yes.

Go on then...

Oh shut up!

Knowing what to do and doing it are two very different things. 

The log fire, Sunday papers and glass of wine are calling.

But a glass of water sipped slowly would get rid of the pangs.

True.

But that's boring. Oh, there's that word again.

Old 70s music on the radio. 

So much has happened since those days. Another 30 years and I'll be in my 90s.

Oh Joy!

Got to keep going. The alternative is worse.

Why don't you just write down that Starfish story?

Ok.

An adult and a young girl were walking on a beach. Hundreds and hundreds of starfish had been swept on to the beach and were dying.  The young girl picked up a single starfish and threw it back in the sea. 

The adult said, "Why are you doing that? It's not going to make a difference."

The young girl said, "It will make a difference to that one."

Look, you wrote something.

So I did.

©RitaLeaman2012

No comments: