Monday 23 April 2012

Thinking of others



Yesterday I stood with thousands of people in London and watched while thousands of other people ran, walked, limped and finally completed The London Marathon route. While the elite athletes had extraordinary speed and stamina, it was the ordinary person, challenging their mind and body over several hours, that drew my admiration and respect.


The majority of participants were raising money for charity. I should imagine that most charities were represented,  judging by the flags, balloons, 'T' shirts etc:


As a result, I didn't have time to write the usual Sunday afternoon blog and planned to write it today. I know the subject matter:  Shared experience. But it will now wait for another week. Time is a little tight and a newspaper article has caught my eye. 


I was catching up on the Sunday papers, when I came across the following article, called, The Happy List.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/the-ios-happy-list-2012--the-100-7661358.html

All types of people, in all sorts of conditions using their personal resources to improve/help something/somebody they they are in touch with in their lives.  The result is a level of personal happiness that cannot be achieved by other means.


Please take some time out to read the list and be inspired. 


Therapists often speak to people who want "to be happy". We also speak to many people who:


a) believe they will only be happy by changing the past. This is impossible, so they remain unhappy, while continuing to chase the impossible fantasy.


b) believe that someone else or something else will make them happy. When this doesn't happen, they do not look at themselves for a solution, but blame others.


I believe happiness comes in moments of time and that it isn't a constant state. It can't be. 


I hope that today you find your own moment of happiness.


@Ritaleaman@aol.com

No comments: