Sunday 11 December 2011

"What were they like?" What's your legacy?


I went to another funeral last week. Again, a time for reflection and sadness. But very different from my friend's death in October.
http://emotionalgrowth.blogspot.com/2011/10/im-sad-label-wearing.html

Our friend was a good man. An honest man. A man who, under pressure in a challenging working environment, remained an incorruptible force. A man with chronic physical difficulties, who never complained. He was a modest man.  If awards are to be given out at all, then he should have been the recipient of awards, given to those who make outstanding contributions to their communities. He didn't have any awards, though he may have refused some. We will never know.


As I listened to the tributes, I was reminded of a sermon I heard in unusual circumstances. Some years ago, I was visiting my 85-year- old Aunt, who lived in a retirement community in California. She wanted me to accompany her to the multi-denominational Sunday service, which was held in a Sports Hall. The service was well attended and the average age must have been over 80 years of age.


The service was taken by a preacher called Mr D'eath. The sermon's subject was based on a bible reading, which was about...death. I wondered what on earth he was going to say to people, who were nearer the end of their lives than the beginning or even the middle.


Mr D'eath's theme was 'what will people say about you at your funeral'?  I've often thought about that question since then.


I once met the recently-deceased friend, after he had attended a funeral of the wife of an important local businessman. Apparently this lady had a reputation of being difficult, if not downright unpleasant.  The vicar had to talk about her.  He said, " She held strong opinions and..." there was a pause while he appeared to search for words, "...and had lovely hair."


If we're fortunate we can live for decades. We touch thousands of people's lives. It's generally summed up in ten minutes or so. But we can live on in people's hearts and minds forever. It's up to us, how we are remembered.


When I was a child, there was a character in a book called, Mrs Do-as-you-would-be-done-by. I didn't fully understand the meaning of her name then.  Immature brains don't fully understand actions and consequences. I do now.  
http://emotionalgrowth.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-just-dont-think-consequenses.html 


It may be idealistic, but would "Do unto others as we would do to ourselves'' be such a bad starting point?  


©RitaLeaman2011

No comments: